Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

ok, so I ain't gonna lie... re-entry it tough. I am a shell of my former self, aged nearly 10 years in the last 3 weeks. I know it will all be a distant memory in a few weeks but right now I'm feeling rough.
It's amazing the small moments we take for granted when we watch our new 5 1/2 year old son who has obviously never been on a swing, touched a dog, eaten an orange, tried to draw a straight line, watched tv, done a puzzle but he can fold blankets and towels to military precision, use chopsticks, wash dishes, help his baby sister with anything she needs. The kids are all doing great together, much better than I could have hoped for. Ty is a real people person, and he goes out of his way to be kind to the other kids. He is my little shadow around the house and seems to really look out for me.. it is really cute. It is really tough to realize how little he has been exposed to and in many ways he act much younger than his 5 years, and in some ways he seems wise beyond his years. I'm sure he will change so much in the next few months. Something is really off with his tummy, I'm not sure if it has to do with being sensitive to milk, or maybe just the stress of the changes but he has a really weak belly...looking forward to figuring it out :(
I have been horrible at taking photos... I can't even seem to get it on my radar right now. He did get the cutest little hair cut.. but still haven't taken a photo.




Last thing we did in Beijing... so fun
Our first and only family photo...yeah I know, I'm gonna have to work on that :O )

Ty is absolutely fascinated my our dog, Maggie.  He was nervous at first but now can't seem to get enough of her every move.  His other favorite.. the water dispenser on the 'fridge...who woulda thought? 

Jack couldn't wait for a brother to play video games with... too bad Ty has .7 seconds of an attention span for it,  we have to take the batteries out of the controller because he just isn't ready... He doesn't seem to mind,,, yet.  

9 comments:

Monica Mueller said...

Hi Amy- I have been following your trip and I am so happy for all of you! You have such a BIG heart!! We brought our son, Brody, (20 mos at the time, now almost 3!) home in August 2009 (you got pics and video of him in Dongguan SWI when you went for Finn), and he had ongoing belly issues, too. At first I attributed it to lactose intolerance, American food, too many changes, etc. etc., but what it actually turned out to be was a very tenacious case of Giardia that took 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear up! Your pediatrician will probably order a test for Giardia as part of a routine stool screen and that will tell you for sure. Of course, it could be any number of things, but if my experience can help you in any way then I am glad to share! I hope your family's adjustment continues to go really well- it always amazes me how resilient our little kiddos are, and I am so happy that little Ty has found his forever family! You can see his love for you all on every picture you have taken of him! Congrats on your newest addition! Monica

Sarabeth Hudson said...

Wow - you should fire that photographer that took the family photo! SO SORRY! I had no idea it was fuzzy - I think it didn't show up on the back of the camera. Wish we would have checked so it would have been better. Maybe one of the other girls there got a better one.

Looking forward to catching up once you recover a little more <3

Kathleen said...

SO wonderful to see you all together, and see Ty with Jack, Maggie, etc. Simultaneously hysterical and touching that Ty is captivated by the fridge water dispenser...how powerful to see life through his eyes. Can't wait to meet him (but I will! I know you're wiped out ; )

Ashley said...

I saw a nice family photo of your family at the airport on another blog... http://andthentherewereseven.blogspot.com/2010/09/auburn-and-welcome-home.html

Brandee said...

I really enjoyed following your blog! Your description about Ty being 5 yet seeming way younger but at the same time being wise beyond his years is spot on for how my daughter is. She was 6.5 when she came home this past summer.

Glad you guys are home safe!!!

Annie said...

So happy ya'll are home and your little man is doing so well!!

Jen Barbee said...

Hi Amy ! Love the pics! I have thought about you every day. Re-entry is so, so hard.

Melissa said...

I am so happy you all are home and safe and sound. He really blows my mind! I can't believe how he has just fit right in to your home! It looks like he's always been there.
I can't wait to chat! Call me when things wind down a bit.

Simply-Family said...

Ha ha! Our daughter finally caught on that we had removed the batteries from the Wii remote! She was almost 4 when she came home, and is now 6 and finally realized that something was up! She now gives the one without batteries to her brother, so she has the real thing! She was so delayed too, because of limited exposure, but yes, she could fold the laundry and make the bed beautifully. Even switching the lights on and off and flushing the toilet fascinated her and she would do it over and over. It was clear to us that she had never even held a book. Ty is so enthusiastic and cute! Congratulations!

Linda, BAAS, Waiting for Shanna