Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cuban Sandwiches

I made a pork roast the other night, and as much as the men in my house love a good pork roast they usually don't overdo their consumption and are always keenly aware of the amount of left overs... only because they know what is for dinner the next night....IF we have enough leftovers. This is one of those foods that if you have never heard of it or seen it, the combinations sounds strange and not all that appetizing, but if you are lucky enough to have tried it you most likely LOVE it. My husband is half Columbian & I grew up in South Fl. so we love latin food. Here is one of our family faves... The Cuban SandwichINGREDIENTS: Cuban bread (or other soft bakery style loaf), sliced pork, sliced ham, provolone, pickles, mayo, mustard, honey & butter.
If you have a "helper" that will sit and snack your toppings that would be great too!
So just like you'd think, go ahead and put on some mayo & mustard, then layer pork, ham, pickles, then the provolone.
Close it on up.
Now mix up equal parts room temp butter and honey, yeah we are making honey butter. You could just buy honey butter, but I never thought of that until this very second. Spread it on real nice and thick. It's going to make the bread all crusty buttery and just a little sweet to go with the salty pork, ham & pickles.
Grill it up. I use a Ge*rge F*rman, because that's what I have. You could obviously use a panini press or the grill with a weighted brick. This works for me.
The pictures don't do it loads of justice because it was evening the lighting was horrible and I had a table full of hungry men that thought I had lost my mind because I was wasting time trying to photograph dinner before they could start eating.
Good thing Collin can't access my blog from China, he would be ticked if he saw this photo right now. This is usually his birthday dinner request. Try it sometime :)

3 comments:

chksngr said...

Yummmmmmm!!! I wonder if I could get the hubs on board with this...he doesn't normally like pork roast, but this could change his mind!

Bailey said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy! This sandwich would be devoured in our house! Our little Ladybug also "tests" all of the ingredients as we make food. Gotta love a great food eater.

Becky said...

I caught a glimpse of your pic and had to comment - I grew up in Puerto Rico and had a lot of Cuban friends. I LOVE a good Cuban sandwich! YUMMMMM.