Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Ok, so you HAVE to read this article, the one posted here on the side, Yeah, the Haiti one... I read this article last week, and can not get over it.  It is truly making me nutty.... Please read it (let me know if I didn't get the link right, I am not so great at all this computer stuff)  anyhow, go ahead- read it...  It breaks your heart right? How can this be happening?  How?  The kicker, the real kicker, is that there is a full fledged Hague accredited adoption "plan" in place with Haiti and there are tons of children available for adoption. The problem is that, adoption is not a priority with the Haitian government, seeing that most people in the government have bigger problems of their own, like their families starving to death.  So you can get a referral for a child, almost instantly, but it will take the Haitian government around 2 years to process your paperwork!!  You can even visit your child in Haiti as much as you want for the 2 years you are waiting....  This seems like complete craziness to me.  When I was calling around trying to get info. on the adoption programs, I was told, "your working with a broken system, there is nothing you can do" .  Really, I mean really.... these are kids, nothing we can do.   I have been brainstorming... but am a little scared to make more phone calls with my ideas, because I don't want someone to tell me, that my ideas won't work...  Wouldn't it be great to fix this... I am sure there are thousands of families that would be open to adopting from Haiti, but staring at your babies photo for 2 years, while they are starving to death is a bit much to sign up for....  I'll keep digging to get more info....Who's fired up???

1 comment:

chksngr said...

This is the sort of thing that also breeds heinous crimes like human trafficking…some parents will do anything thinking that their children will be safer somewhere else. Its precisely the type of environment that will draw those with evil intent. I wonder if there are any US organizations with leverage enough in Haiti to help “streamline” a process – at least temporarily.