Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Christmas ideas anyone?

I was perusing one of my favorite blogs Signs of Hope, Life in a Chinese Foster home last week and they had started a new venture, creating these (and more) beautiful aprons made by women in rural China, who are paid fair wages for their labor. These are more than cute aprons they are dignity
PicturePicture
A quote from their website :

Dignity.

"Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice. It is the protection of a fundamental human right, the right to dignity and a decent life." {Nelson Mandela}
There is no dignity in poverty. We live in a community where the minimum wage is around $700 USD a year, but it costs twice that to send a child to school for a year. Despite the poverty, there are no beggars on our streets. The local people are proud and want to work to support their families. When we give work and not charity, we give the gift of dignity. We give a mother the opportunity to hold her head high as she watches her child go to school, knowing that it was her hard work that made it possible.
Scarlet threads (there is a link on my sidebar), make sure you read their vision. What a fantastic Christmas idea!!! Happy shopping.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

LOVE this idea!! Fabulous!! I'll get it posted on my Christmas ideas post... thanks for linking up :)