Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Monday, November 17, 2008

The ranting that goes on in my head usually... I don't know why I feel the need to share it today..

Club Libby LuCould it be true. I, no wait, not I, My 6 YR OLD DAUGHTER, just received a full color catalog from the above business( she also received a huge catalog for Amer** girl dolls, 2 catalogs in one day for a 6 yr old, c'mon people) . Walking back from the mailbox I paged through it to find panties for 6 year olds with suggestive sayings on them, it makes me ILL! I have taken my daughter into this store twice, once to get her ears pierced before she started kindergarten, and again to have one of them repeirced because they did such a lop-sided job the first time. The 2nd time I went in the store, my mother-in-law was with me and there was a birthday party going on... As my beautiful daughter watched these fragile little girls get caked with garish makeup, don feather boa's, and be chanted on by their parents to "work it" as they strutted the little cat-walk, I thought I was going to toss my cookies. My mother in law and I tried to hide my daughter in the back of the store, but her eyes were bugging out of her head with envy - and at that moment, I felt like the world's worst Mommy for subjecting my daughter to the scene.... I cringed as I saw the other little girls father bend down and tell his daughter how beautiful she looked and how proud he was of her. My heart aches for our collective daughters. Seriously, I could cry. Am I the only one. I truly want my daughters to be confident and proud young ladies, but this is so wrong on so many levels. I hope that my daughters never feel the need to work it or strut their stuff for their parents attention or for anyone else. What are we teaching our daughters? Well I came inside to look them up online, (I must say there online advertising is MUCH more tame than their catalog) it seems that there are online rumors that the store is CLOSING!!! Score one for the bad economy, I am just guessing that is why they would be closing, or maybe some corporate big-wig grew a conscience.  

5 comments:

chksngr said...

I'm SO WITH YOU!!! As the victim of a poor self-image and the constant perfectionist nagging inside my head, I could NOT agree with you more...I don't know when we all started believing that Paris Hilton was the ideal role model for our girls! Its tragic that our culture teaches them that money, makeup, plastic surgery and clothes are what makes a woman instead of what is inside!

barnespharmd said...

Amen! We went this summer while at the beach, and I plan on it being the last time we go. On top of the whole nature of the store being superficial, my daughter is allergic to everything, so she couldn't have participated even if I wasn't against it. To make matters worse, the family we were with allowed their daugher to get a "make over" which just made it horrible for us. I hate that we've started teaching our little girls that looks are what is important and not the inside.

Sarabeth Hudson said...

I agree, too! I am left wondering what kind of suggestive words they put on little girls' underwear.....how sick!

Anonymous said...

Our daughters will most likely emulate how we, as mothers, present ourselves to the world. If a girl has a mother, who is constantly talking about being on a diet, worried about how she looks, what she wears, then her daughter will follow suit.
The best thing we can do is to be models of how we want our daughters to feel about themselves.
If we have good moral standards and show that we have confidence in ourselves, then our daughters will do the same.
These types of retailers will continue to pop up all over the place, because sadly, this type of garbage sells, but that doesn't mean that we have to buy into it.
It's a constant struggle, I know.
C3J2

Carmi said...

I so agree Amy! I pray that my girls don't ever think they have to look like some of "hoochie girls" they see on TV and sadly around town.